Friday, October 3, 2008

Day Two: Innocence.


My friend's 20 month old daughter, Natalie.
It was so beautiful to watch this young girl walking through the sand at our state park. She was so free, and so sure of herself. One thing stopped her and she still tries to tell us about it in her gibberish today. She was walking towards some tall grass I wanted to shoot her in. Her feet got stuck in the mud. Determined, she kept trying to walk. "One foot after the other, Nat..." is what I kept chanting to her. Then, she sunk in ankle deep.
Defeat was written all over her cute little face, and she started to cry. I put down my camera (also in the mud) and reached in to pick her up. Before I knew it, my feet were stuck to. I bursted out laughing. "No! No!" is what Natalie was yelling. I eventually got us out and she looked at her shoes, pointed, and started to cry again. I told her it was a lesson learned. When you're obviously stuck, rather than try to go further, try to figure out how to escape.